Sheet metal used to be the other to the asphalt shingle which happens to be used today for covering sloping roofs. If you tend to reserve corrugated iron for a shed, garage or other shelter, it would be wrong to rule out this type of roof for his house.
Why Choose Sheet Metal As A Roof Covering
Entirely recyclable, the sheet metal roof made in Malaysia at 100% has a lifespan of more than fifty years. Resistant to fire, strong winds and bad weather, the sheet does not oxidize, rot, warp, crack and require minimal maintenance. It is ultra-light and does not retain snow while being very rigid. The multitude of profile choices offered brings a design side highly sought after by metal roofers professionals, architects and consumers. More expensive to buy, sheet metal roofing remains the least expensive of materials in the long run.
- Galvanized or painted sheet steel.
- Aluminium sheet.
- Sheet copper.
- There’s also stainless steel, if your budget allows.
How To Prepare The Surface To Be Covered With Sheet Metal
Measure the roof, allowing for the excess if you want the sheet to protrude beyond the edge of the roof, as well as dividing the width of the roof by three in order to know the number of panels needed;
- You can order your sheet steel panels by offering your roof dimensions to the distributor;
- Remove the old shingles by throwing them in a rented waste container and, at the same time, rent a magnet of industrial strength to recover the nails that will fall from the roof;
- Repair the structure by replacing or repairing damaged edge boards, as well as by checking the solidity of the frame;
- Install a membrane to protect the roof from water infiltration, either in tar paper to nail or staple, or self-adhesive impossible to remove, to install with a friend;
- Install the furring strips by screwing them around the pipes coming out of the roof, in the hollow of the valleys, along the ridges and ridges, as well as on the rest of the roof;
- Install the flashings on the roof edges and on the gables, then install the valleys with nails;
Install a foam rubber membrane if necessary, to ensure a good seal.